Sunday, July 09, 2006

"Kickbacks" of the Electrical kind

We all know that an “inductor resists change in the current flowing through it”. We also know that when there is a change in the current through an inductor, it gives rise to an inductive kickback. We put freewheeling diodes across dc relay coils or we stick a snubber across ac relay coils and so on.

I realised, with a shock (quite literally), the possible magnitude of this kickback.

In the early part of my career, one of my responsibilities was to test the incoming materials. This included some HT transformers too. One of these had two secondaries, one star connected and the other delta connected. These supplied diode bridges that eventually supplied a twelve-pulse output used as the anode supply in a large RF induction heater.

I was still learning my ropes and I had to test one of these transformers for the first time. I decided to first measure the winding resistances and see I they matched the specifications. I connected the probes of an analog multimeter, set to measure resistance, across the secondary. To make the connections, I held the probes of the multimeter to the terminals by hand. Since the winding inductances were fairly high, the needle started its sluggish motion and I realised that I had set the range wrongly. I removed the probe held in my right hand and I was in for a shock! The small dc current that the meter had already driven into the coil was interrupted and this generated such a kickback that my left hand flew, still holding the probe. That pulled the meter attached to it from its precarious perch on the transformer and sent it crashing to the floor.

So, this is what an inductive kickback “feels” like!

Many would not believe me when I told them this story. However, if I asked them to try it for themselves, there were no takers!

---- JL Anil Kumar.

No comments: